The fluorescent mineral display was donated to the Department of Geology by S. Elroy McCaw, a 1910 alumnus, in 1969. It consists of about 150 mineral specimens from various parts of the world. Many are from mines and districts which are no longer accessible to collectors.
The specimens are housed in a cabinet in a small room in the Webster Physical Science Building, room 124. The specimens are mounted on a carousel which rotates causing the minerals to fluoresce as they pass the viewing window and ultraviolet light.