Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University

International Students

International graduate students are encouraged to apply to our programs. If you are an International student and have concerns about your course study, finances or length of stay in the United States you will find the Office of International Students and Scholars a valuable resource in answering many of your questions. Some typical concerns of international graduate students are related to financial issues and these are described below.

School of the Environment Graduate Admission Requirements:

  • A grade point average equivalent to a U.S. grade of “B” (3.0) or better is required
  • BA/BS degree in a related field (some prerequisite course work may be completed after admissions)
  • GRE tests requirement are waived until further notice.  If the application will not submit with blank boxes input 999 as a placeholder.
  • International applicants must have official TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB scores submitted directly to the Graduate School (school code 4705) from the testing services. Check English proficiency requirements for specific test score requirements and exceptions to this requirement.
  • Interested applicants will need to reach out to a potential graduate faculty member before applying to the Graduate School. A list of faculty can be found here. Admission into our graduate program is dependent upon a faculty member’s willingness to act as the student’s advisor in addition to basic academic requirements.


International students on research and teaching assistantships follow the same rules for payment of tuition as U.S. students. In other words, they can obtain a tuition waiver for up to one year, after which they must apply for a tuition waiver for the following year, although it is not guaranteed. If an international student is not supported on a teaching or research assistantship, they are required to pay out-of-state tuition.


WSU stresses that international students who are not funded on research and teaching assistantships should have sufficient funds available on entering the graduate program to complete their course of study. International graduate students should not plan on part-time employment as a means of support through graduate school.
If, however, a research or teaching assistantship becomes unavailable for an international student during their course of study and supplementary employment is necessary, the Student Employment Center can aid in finding part-time work. Employment is limited to 20 hours or less for students enrolled in the graduate program.

Social Security Number

Any international student employed by WSU or a private business must obtain a social security number. Vist the Social Security Administration in Lewiston, Idaho or contact via phone at 1-800-772-1213.


International students who are employed in the United States are taxed the same as residents but file using different forms. Taxes are due on April 15. Most graduate students will find filing fairly simple; information and forms are available at the U.S. Post Office.

Practical Training

Upon graduation, international students may remain in the United States for 12 months to obtain practical training. To apply for this status, a letter written by the student’s advisor to the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service is required. The International Students and Scholars Office can provide aid in applying for practical training.

Helpful Links

  • International Center
    The International Center provides a learning and social environment which offers intercultural communication opportunities, leadership roles as well as a variety of international and global programs for the campus and community.
  • Student Employment Center
    The Student Employment Center have opportunities for students seeking on and off-campus employment, non-students seeking temporary on-campus employment, and employers looking to fill their work-study and non-work-study jobs.
  • International Programs
    International Programs serves as the Washington State University advocate for interaction between faculty, students, and citizens of nations and cultures worldwide.
  • Student Involvement

    Student Involvement is the center for the co-curricular student experience at Washington State University.