Ph.D. Tulane University
M.S. California State University, Fresno
BSc. University of California, San Diego
I am broadly interested in animal behavior, communication, and the effects of human activity on wildlife. Specifically, I am interested in how sexually selected traits or functional traits are affected by landscapes and sensory pollution, and whether changes in these traits lead to population and community level ecological consequences.
Teaching Topics (previous and current):
- Wildlife Ecology
- Wildlife Management
- Animal Behavior
- Graduate seminar
- General Biology II (Intro to Ecology and Evolution)
- Forest Ecology
Publications (10 selected):
**graduate student, †dual first authors
- Jones, TM, AP Llamas**, and JN Phillips. 2023. Phenotypic signatures of urbanization? Resident, but not migratory, songbird eye size varies with urban-associated light pollution levels. Global Change Biology. In Press.
- Francis, CD, JN Phillips, and JR Barber. 2023. Background acoustics in ecology: from behavioral responses to community structure. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics. In press.
- Ross, S, D O’Connell, M Bolgan, J Deichmann, C Desjonquères, A Gasc, JN Phillips, S Sethi, C Wood, Z Burivalova. 2023. A fresh look at fundamental ecological questions with passive acoustic monitoring. Functional Ecology. 37, 959–975. 10.1111/1365-2435.14275
- Simberloff, R**, JN Phillips, GE Derryberry, MC Mahoney, and EP Derryberry. 2023. Communication distance predicts territory size: implications for an urban songbird. Animal Behavior. 203: 89-99.
- Rios-Chelen, A, JN Phillips, G Patricelli, and D Dominoni. 2022. Effects of artificial light at night on organisms: From mechanisms to function. Editorial for Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution.
- Willems, JS**, JN Phillips, and CD Francis. 2022. Artificial light at night and anthropogenic noise alter foraging activity and structure of vertebrate communities. Science of the Total Environment. 805: 150223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.150223
- Phillips†, JN, SE Termondt†, and CD Francis. 2021. Long-term noise pollution affects seedling recruitment and community composition, with negative effects persisting after removal. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 288: 20202906. doi/0.1098/rspb.2020.290
- Phillips, JN, WJ Cooper*, DA Luther, and EP Derryberry. 2020. Low performance males on low quality territories: Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. 8:587120. doi/10.3389/fevo.2020.587120
- Derryberry, EP†, JN Phillips†, GE Derryberry, MJ Blum, and DA Luther. 2020. Singing in a silent spring: birds respond to a half-century soundscape reversion during the COVID-19 shutdown. Science. 370(6516): 575-579. doi/10.1126/science.abd5777
- Senzaki, M, JR Barber, JN Phillips, CB Cooper, KM Fristrup, CJW McClure, DJ Mennitt, J Vukomanovic, and CD Francis. 2020. Sensory pollutants alter bird phenology and fitness across a continent. Nature. 587(7835): 605-609. doi/10.1038/s41586-020-2903-7