Associate Professor and Director of the Large Carnivore Conservation Lab
- NATRS 435/535-Wildlife Ecology
NATRS 441-Population Ecology and Conservation
- Population, behavioral, and habitat ecology of large carnivores (grizzly bears, black bears, cougars) and their prey (mountain caribou, mule deer).
- Ph.D. Forest Sciences, 1993
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, BC Canada
- M.S. Wildlife Resources, 1986
University of Idaho - Moscow, ID
- B.S. Environmental Sciences, 1981
(*Preceding authors are my grad students1 or post-docs2.
- *White, K.S., Koehler, G.M., .1 Maletzke, B.T., Wielgus, R.B. 2011. Differential prey use by male and female cougars in Washington. Journal of Wildlife Management. 75(5): 1115-1120.
- *2 Chapron, G., R.B. Wielgus, P. Quinette, and J. Camarra. 2009. Diagnosing mechanisms of decline and planning for recovery for an endangered brown bear (Ursus arctos) population. PLoS ONE. 4(10): e7568.
- *1 Cooley, H.S., Wielgus, R.B., Robinson, H.S., Koehler, G.M., and Maletzke, B.T. 2009. Does hunting regulate cougar populations? A test of the compensatory mortality hypothesis. Ecology. 90: 2913-2921.
- *1Cooley, H.S., Wielgus, R.B., Koehler, G.M., and Maletzke, B.T. 2009. Source populations in carnivore management: cougar demography and emigration in a lightly hunted population. Animal Conservation.12:321-328.
- *1 Robinson, H.S., Wielgus, R.B., Cooley, H.S., and Cooley, S.W. 2008. Sink populations in large carnivore management: cougar demography in a hunted population. Ecological Applications. 18(4): 1028-1037.
- *1 Cooley, H.S., H.S. Robinson, R.B. Wielgus, and C.S. Lambert. 2008. Cougar prey selection in a white-tailed deer and mule deer community. Journal of Wildlife Management. 72(1): 99-106.
- *1 Maletzke, B.T., Koehler, G.M., Wielgus, R.B., Aubrey, K.B., and Evans, M.A. 2008. Habitat conditions associated with lynx hunting behavior during winter in northern Washington. Journal of Wildlife Management. 72(7): 1473-1478.
- *1 Koehler, G.M., 1Maletzke, B.T., von Kienast, J.A., Aubry, K.B., Wielgus, R.B., and Naney, R.H. 2008. Habitat fragmentation and the persistence of lynx populations in Washington State. Journal of Wildlife Management. 72(7): 1518-1524.
- *1 Zeoli, L.F., Sayler, R., and Wielgus, R.B. 2008. Population viability analysis for the captive-breeding and reintroduction of endangered Columbia Basin Pygmy rabbit (Brachylagus idahoensis). Animal Conservation. 11: 504-512.
- *1 Lambert, C., R.B. Wielgus, Robinson, H.S., Cruickshank, H., Katnik, D.D., Clarke, R., and Almack, J. 2006. Dynamics and viability of a cougar population in the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Wildlife Management. 70(1): 246-254.
- *1 Katnik, D.D., and R.B. Wielgus. 2005. Landscape proportions versus Monte Carlo simulated home ranges for estimating resource availability. Journal of Wildlife Management. 69 (1): 20-32.
- *1 Romain-Bondi, K, A., R.B. Wielgus, L. Waits, W.F. Kasworm, M. Austin, and W. Wakkinen. 2004. Density and population size estimates for North Cascades grizzly bears using DNA hair sampling techniques. Biological Conservation. 117: 417-428.
- Wielgus, R.B., and P. Vernier. 2003. Grizzly bear selection of managed and unmanaged forests in the Selkirk Mountains. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 33: 822-829.
- Wielgus, R.B., P. Vernier, and T. Schivatcheva. 2002. Grizzly bear use of open, closed, and restricted forestry roads. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 32 (9): 1597-1606.
- Wielgus, R.B. 2002. Minimum viable population and reserve sizes for naturally regulated grizzly bears in British Columbia. Biological Conservation. 106 (3): 381-388.
- *1 Robinson, H.S., R.B. Wielgus, and J.C. Gwilliam. 2002. Cougar predation and population growth of sympatric mule deer and white-tailed deer. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 80 (3): 556-568.
- *1 Collins, G.H., R.B. Wielgus, and G.M. Koehler. 2002. Effects of sex and age on American black bear conifer damage and control. Ursus. 13: 231-236.
- Wielgus, R.B., F. Sarrazin, R. Ferriere, and J. Clobert. 2001. Estimating effects of adult male mortality on grizzly bear population growth and persistence using matrix models. Biological Conservation. 98(3): 293-303.
- Wielgus, R.B., and F.L. Bunnell. 2000. Possible negative effects of adult male mortality on female grizzly bear reproduction. Biological Conservation. 93:145-154.
School of the Environment
Washington State University
Heald Hall 515
Pullman, WA, 99164-2812